The Liceo Scientifico Statale “ E. Majorana” in Scordia is a secondary school in a small town with about 17.000 inhabitants, surrounded by some other small towns where a lot of commuter students come from.
In the same building students can attend three different kinds of high school:
Liceo scientifico ordinario
Liceo delle scienze umane
Special attention has been given to international activities in the late 20 years. The first Comenius cultural exchange was organized with a school in the Flanders and took place in 1999. Since then hundreds of mobility activities for students and teachers involving partnerships with schools in 12 European countries have been set up successfully.
The objectives of the project are:
- To strengthen the international dimension of education, increasing the ability in understanding and becoming aware of the different cultures in the countries involved in the project, giving the chance of building networks of international contacts, developing a sense of citizenship and European identity
- To Improve the skills and competences of the head teacher who will be able to get to know with other experiences of management in similar institutions and get to compare his experience with those ones
- To develop the professional abilities of the teachers in order to innovate and improve the quality of their didactic activities through the observation of the process of teaching of their subjects in foreign schools and as a result the use in their school of the new methods, strategies and techniques learnt by other European colleagues
- To improve their linguistic competences so as to allow them the teaching of a school subject (non- linguistic) in a foreign language(CLIL)
- To develop the professional abilities of the members of the school administrative staff who, even though not involved in teaching, can improve their linguistic competences and management abilities when dealing with European projects bringing benefits and added value to the quality of the educational provision of the school
The activities will take place in two years and will involve the head teacher, four teachers- a Science teacher, a History teacher, an Art History teacher, a History and Philosophy teacher, an English teacher and two administrative assistants.
The English teacher will take part in a training course in the U. K. in Cardiff for 8 days.
The other three teachers will take part in two job shadowing activities for 10 days, each one in two different Spanish schools. Every teacher will follow a training course in Spanish relating to CLIL for 8 days.
The two members of the administrative staff will take part in one training courses in the U. K. for 8 days. The main purpose is to improve their linguistic competences and their ability in the management of the European projects.
The head teacher and three of the teachers involved will take part in a job shadowing activity in Tornion yhteilyseon Iukio in Tornio in Finland lasting 8 days in order to get the to know something more about the way of managing and organizing the didactic activities which allow Finland to get the top in the OCSE PISA survey.
The activities aimed at improving the professional abilities of all those working in the school will allow our school to improve the quality of the educational provision in order to give the students the basic fundamental competences and the transversal skills which may help them improve their learning of foreign languages, their digital skills and obviously their chance of finding a job. To sum up, the improvement of the quality of the process of the teaching/learning will have a positive influence on the final results the students will get.
The school will be able to improve its international dimension so as to make the students live in their everyday didactic activities, a kind of dimension based upon international relations which may give them as future citizens the awareness of their rights and duties, which are necessary in a civil society in Europe and in the world, with the essential ideas of brotherhood at the basis of both personal and collective self-affirmation.
In each school a project group will be made up and it will comprise the head teachers or a delegate of them, the one who coordinates the international activity who has dealt with the project work, a member of the personnel involved in the training activities.
The group project will meet at the beginning of the activity and later on with deadlines at least every two months, according to what will be established during the first meeting.
During the project management a Gantt diagram will be used, its horizontal axis will report the total period of the project, divided into incremental phases, while the vertical axis will report the representation of the tasks and the activities that form the project ( Work Breakdown Structure)